1.29.2009

Honey crystals.

Learned something new today from my own handy dandy googling skills. 

I work on the first floor of a library which is located underground and in a cellar/dungeoun type area. Dealing with technical parts and the like, the room always has to stay at a cool and almost FREEZING temperature so as to not overheat any of our wires, or machines, etc. Anyhow, to aide myself in keeping warm, aside form this Polo throw that I've had since 10th grade sitting here on my chair, I decided to bring in tea bags and honey to sip on and sooth my frozen soul.

Just recently I started to see crystals forming at the top of my honey jar (located at the feet of the upside down honey bear). I thought to myself... eww? is that even safe? So I finally decided to google it and figure out if I've been poisoning myself with this honey in my tea or not...

Turns out I haven't. When the honey loses moisture it begins crysalizing because honey is so saturated. I know right? amazing. On top of that, the crystals are edible! It was suggested to spread it over some toast or drop a couple crystals in my tea! How cool! Really!
I also read that honey doesn't spoil, but I think I already knew that from a Snapple bottle cap with a random fact. :)

Anyhow, to un-crystalize your honey, simply place the jar in warm water and stir. Or warm it up in the microwave and stir.

Just thought I'd share. :)